Okay, so maybe I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
It kind of stinks when I think about it too hard. Truth is, I just want someone to wave their magic wand or scepter at me and say, "Poof, now you're going to be majoring in this-and-that." Life is much simpler when someone's telling you how to live it, isn't it?
It was like that with my last major, journalism. I had done journalism in high school, and my parents thought that I had a knack for both writing and photography. I loved to do both. So, in April 2009, when I had to formally declare a major, I chose journalism--Not so much because it was the #1 thing that I wanted to spend my life doing, but because my dad really wanted me to go into it. He kept saying words like POTENTIAL and GREATNESS, and I was buoyed up by thoughts of being world-renowned for my writing. Maybe I'd even have my own column in Time Magazine.
It's funny how you have dreams, and then life comes in and utterly destroys them. Haha. Actually, I think reality just set in. After I took a few journalism classes, I saw the parts of journalism that they didn't show in movies, and I didn't like it. Journalism is anything but cushy. Journalists are out there in the cold-hearted world every day getting their hands dirty as they try to scrape through the mess to find reliable information--all for the good of the public. They are noble people, far nobler than I, because they toil all day, every day, just trying to deliver the truth to everyone. In fact, they work themselves to death for it.
I'm not a crusader who cries for open government and social justice, carrying the banner of objectivity. The truth is, I'm not particularly knowledgeable regarding the world's current issues and of politics. Is it wrong to think that those issues are incredibly depressing? I guess I'm turning a blind eye to the bad things of the world (a classic move from someone living a sheltered lifestyle) but in my defense, I don't like to focus on what's wrong in the world the way that some journalists tend to be fixated on it. I didn't want a job that pounces in every time something horrible happens like vultures swooping in for carrion.
So when people ask what my major is, I tell them I'm a journalism major because technically I still am a journalism major, but also because I don't want to tell them that I'm undecided. That way, I don't sound like I have no idea where I'm going in life.
I'll figure it out eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment